aremgy tuts
March 28, 2024, 04:02:17 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to SMF For Free

Home Help Search Staff List Login Register  

Need some opinions...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Need some opinions...  (Read 3566 times)
aremgy
Administrator

View Profile
« on: May 27, 2010, 01:38:26 pm »

I'm thrilled that Helen has chosen "The Brush" to be one of the daily tuts over at The Zone, but it brings up an interesting point.

A couple of Zoners have mentioned that parts of the tut weren't clear, that I left out details that a newbie wouldn't know.

I agree with that, totally, but...

Do I have to write how to animate each time I write an animated tut?
Do you, if you write tuts?
Do you expect the instructions for each little thing to be in the tut?
Should I "rate" each tut - beginner, advanced, etc.?

OR

Should I have a section here at this forum for little tricks (like adding a selection border) so I can just link to those?

I really would like opinions...

R
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Shirley

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2010, 10:29:34 pm »

I like the idea of having a "Frequently Used Methods"  page.  That will save you time as you seem to be a tut-writin' maniac lately.
Report Spam   Logged

isischylde

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2010, 07:29:34 am »

I think if you need spacific steps to get an effect then you need to show how it was done but if its just something simple that there are a lot of tut's already out there for such as glitters and such you could always add if you dont know how to do it you could check out such and such a tut save you having to do it but other than that I would say they are fairly easy to follow but rating them beginner ect would be good aswell.
Report Spam   Logged

Tilly

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2010, 03:45:49 am »

I think it would be a good idea to rate  your tags beginner etc ,but I still think that if you are going to write a tut all the instructions should be in the tut or a link to instructions on how to do ,in this case the animations.
Lol clear as mud  Undecided
Report Spam   Logged
pepsi1611

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2010, 11:31:58 am »

I think the idea of rating tuts is a good one.... Beginner, intermediate, advanced

Also a link to 'how to' sections appeals, and would make the tut less complicated to read.
Report Spam   Logged
kellzzbellzz

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2010, 09:36:52 am »

Rich, it's hard to answer that! I consider myself a fairly advanced psper.  Sometimes I take a tut & go completely my own way & others I just follow blindly, depends on my mood.  Your tuts tend to use alot of filters, so I would follow this sort of tut closely.  The one which was used at the Zone was only confusing to me when I got to the end, cos I needed to move a layer over (my memory isn't the best lol) to make it look like yours.  Once I realised that I knew what I had to do to get the same effect, but a newbie may not. 

In terms of animation instructions you could try something like what Vix does - write a mini tut on how to animate for the usual 3 layers & then say 'animate as usual' & link the mini tut. Cover all bases that way. 

Bottom line I guess, is that tutwriters will never please everyone!!!

Hugs & thanks for writing the damn things!!
Report Spam   Logged

susy

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2010, 10:01:57 am »

Hi Rich,
I consider myself an advanced PSP'r also and I agree about writing a mini tut on animating and just linking to it in each tut.
So far I haven't come across anything in your tuts that I couldn't follow but I'm not a beginner either and I haven't done all of your tuts yet.
Tapestry is my fav and I've made 5 of them now from my flower pics.

Keep up the great tut writing and bring em on!  LOL ( I should say to "keep fiddling" )  Shocked

Oh, and, I belong to another forum that all of the tuts are marked as intermediate but I find some more difficult than others so a an intermediate to some is advanced to others. 
You just have to use your own judgement. Wink
« Last Edit: June 14, 2010, 10:12:45 am by susy » Report Spam   Logged
Daagor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2010, 11:14:49 pm »

When I am writing a new tut, i sometimes tend to sum up the portions regarding the animation... lol When I first used animation shop and was learning from tutorials, I found that some of the writers' methods weren't the most user friendly to follow. Maybe if you had a small animation tutorial that listed a couple different methods, linking to it may be a worthy idea. That way the info is available for those who want/need it, but those people who are familiar can just keep going...

just my two cents
Report Spam   Logged

b*ker

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2010, 08:05:16 am »

Good question.

I would do some of the "routine" things (animation, select border stuff) in mini-tuts and link to them. 

And I wouldn't get bogged down in the details. 

There are plenty of experienced taggers here who can help out (and we know where to find you) -- and if you notice a bunch of folks having trouble with a particular section -- you can always revise it.

Just my 2 cents.
Report Spam   Logged
Snuzz

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2010, 05:34:27 pm »

Because of the sheer volume of people who will be doing your tuts, they are all going to be at different levels. I would consider myself advanced to a point. I can follow tuts but when I cant, I go off and do my own thing. If I dont have a particular filter I mess around with those I do have. I know how to animate a tag and when I followed one on here, you just put at the bottom animate if you want to. So I did with no problem. Something like that with a link to a mini tut on how to animate works would work I think. Some tuts are harder than others and require concentration. I like the rating idea.
Report Spam   Logged
borollan

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2010, 08:26:17 am »

Please rate them, I have often started a tut from elsewhere only to find I cant finish it and wind up disapointed
I like the one's best where the animation part comes at the end, so you can choose not to animate if you like the static result
or if the animation will be too hard
Report Spam   Logged
DreamHavenxx

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2011, 12:20:42 am »

I prefer all of the instructions in a tutorial.  If I don't want it to turn out exactly like the example given, then I have the choice to change it.
But I do get a little frustrated when I really,really like a tag, and can't reproduce it.      Angry

But I know there are some tut writers out there who don't want to see 100's of their tags, exactly the same.

Rating tuts is also a good idea, especially for those just starting out.
That's how I started tagging/psping - doing lessons in a group where there were 3 levels of difficulty.
Great way to learn what tools one has at one's disposal.   

Dream xx

Report Spam   Logged
Araceli

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2011, 03:03:51 pm »

Hello, I think the tutorials are pretty clear for those who have good knowledge of Corel X3 or a more advanced, but it would be good to establish categories such as beginners, intermediate, etc. to those in need. By the way, are great.
Report Spam   Logged
FionaDevil

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2012, 07:07:38 pm »

Although I have been making tags for years, animations confuse me a lot of the time and if there is a challenge that has animations in it, I walk away.  I know how to do the basic glitter and sparkle anis but anything more than that is confusing as hell.  A couple of animation tuts would be wonderful.  But yes, if you did your tut and posted a link to the animation tut that would be helpful as well and less confusing to us plebs.
Report Spam   Logged

val

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2012, 02:44:32 pm »

I just love your tuts Rich and if I come across something that puzzles me I feel I can ask you or try some different ways to see if they work.

I hate it when I cannot get a tut to turn out as it should especially if it is one I particularly like. Frustration starts to make its appearance and that doesn't help. Keep them rolling out, am loving them.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum